(Translation: Congrats Sweden!)
I have to admit that I was quietly rooting for Russia to win the 2012 World Junior Hockey Championship (I seem to have a habit of quietly rooting for losers). Some members of the Canadian media have been unfairly critical of Team Russia captain and Washington Capitals prospect Evgeny Kuznetsov, and I wanted to see him silence his doubters once and for all (he was named the Tournament MVP, though).
But Team Sweden's win probably has larger implications for the future of the Ducks. Our 2011 first-round draft pick, Rickard Rakell, was on the roster. But last year's fifth-round draft pick, Max Friberg, has been a revelation. He was the tournament's top goal scorer (9 goals), and scored the second-highest number of points (11, right behind Kuznetsov's 13 points). He currently plays for Timra IK in the Elitserien, but I hope he finds his way to Anaheim soon.
- How the Ducks and Islanders match up. [OC Register]
- Speaking of the Islanders: BD Gallof argues that Islanders fans who want Corey Perry or Ryan Getzlaf need to be prepared to give up Matt Moulson, Kyle Okposo, Nino Niederreiter, Ryan Strome, a prospect and a draft pick. [BD Gallof's Twitter]
- Should the Edmonton Oilers pursue Ryan Getzlaf? The Journal says yes. And David Staples proposes sending some combination of Ales Hemsky, Sam Gagner, Magnus Paajarvi, Linus Omark, Jeff Petry, and Teemu Hartikainen our way. How about Gagner for Cam Fowler? [Edmonton Journal]
- A profile of future Duck Joseph Cramarossa. [Anaheim Ducks]
- Kyle Palmieri has been named to the AHL All-Star Game. [Anaheim Ducks]
- How Sheldon Brookbank "fought" for his job. [OC Register]
- The Ducks are "still searching for answers." [CBSSports.com]
- NHL fans were able to vote six players into the All-Star Game. The selected players were revealed yesterday, and four of them are Ottawa Senators. Guess where the All-Star Game is being held? [Silver Seven]
- Jonas Gustavsson "needs less pads than the average goaltender." [Backhand Shelf]
- Jack Jablonski is a Minnesota high school hockey player who was severely injured during a game last Friday (he's severed his spinal cord, and is paralyzed). Please donate to CaringBridge.org (a health-related nonprofit) in his honor. [CaringBridge.org]