clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Bridgeport Beats Norfolk 4-3 on Controversial OT Goal

The Admirals couldn't overcome Bridgeport in this action packed game that had a little bit of everything from fighting to goals, cheap shots and dodgy refereeing.

Bruce Bennett

The Norfolk Admirals returned home after a short road trip where they played well with the exception of the AHL Showcase in Washington DC. The highlight of the night was the toy toss that benefits toys for tots.

The game started off with a bang as Patrick Maroon used Bridgeport' Nathan McIver as a punching bag just 1:59 into the period. Less than a minute later, Jay Rosehill took an elbowing penalty and Bridgeport wasted no time with their top ranked power play unit, taking 1-0 with only two shots on goal to the Admirals seven.

The Admirals answered back at 7:10 of the first, when Devante Smith-Pelly scored off a scramble in front of the Bridgeport net assisted by Peter Holland and Kyle Palmieri.

The period ended 1-1 but that wasn't the end of the action. Troy Bodie and Brett Gallant squared off for their third round of the season. I'll give the decision to Gallant. Bodie seems to get pulled off balance really easily.

The second period was no nicer to the Admirals. They fell back a goal just 1:13 into the frame on a Brock Nelson goal. It took almost 8 minutes for the Admirals to tie the score up at 2-2 off of a Holland power play goal from Jordan Hendry and Palmieri.

About thirty seconds after the Hollond goal the game took a bit of a nasty turn. McIver tried to run Bodie along the boards, missed then attacked him from behind as he skated away. John Kurtz eventually fought McIver during this stoppage in play.

McIver was assessed a double minor for roughing, a fighting major and a misconduct for continuing an altercation since he broke free of a linesman to fight Kurtz. Bodie was not hurt on the play but somehow got a minor for unsportsmanlike conduct.

The third period was just like the previous two with the Admirals giving up an early goal - this time to former Admiral Ty Wishart - and having to play from behind for almost the entire period.

The period flew by with the Admirals getting some nice chances but not able to capitalize until Maroon, assisted by Wagner, tied the game up with less than three minutes remaining.

Holland had a great opportunity to win it in regulation as he stole the puck off a bad pass, barely stayed onside and shot a wrsiter off the crossbar and the game would head to overtime.

After missing at least four calls in the third period and only calling one the entire last frame, the ref decided to give Bridgeport a power play off the weakest hook I have ever seen. The Sound Tigers couldn't capitalize on this and ended up taking a penalty themselves making it 3 on 3.

Casey Cizikas of Bridgeport had a chance to end the game but Mat Clark pushed him into Andersen, knocking the net off its moorings after his shot. Andersen stayed down for a while but eventually got up. After video, review the referees declared a controversial win for the Sound Tigers.

From what I saw on the replay the puck seemed to be in the crease when the net got knocked off which of course wouldn't be a goal, but apparently the ref had another view that showed the puck across the line before the net came off.

The Admirals host Bridgeport again tonight at 7:15 ET.