clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Ducks @ Jets RECAP: Shot Down

The Ducks played another decent game, but penalties and costly defensive mistakes did them in.

Anaheim Ducks v Winnipeg Jets Photo by Darcy Finley/NHLI via Getty Images

After outplaying the Washington Capitals on Friday only to lose by one goal on a defensive lapse despite a flurry of pressure to tie it, the Anaheim Ducks lost by one goal on a defensive lapse despite a flurry of pressure to tie it against the Winnipeg Jets yesterday.

Deja vu is a hell of a drug.

The Jets might not be as a difficult of an opponent as the Capitals, but they have plenty of weapons amongst their forward group to make most team’s lives difficult. Fortunately, John Gibson and Anaheim were able to limit much of their chances.

The Jets would get out to a lead in the first period when Devin Shore blew a tire after bumping Kyle Connor as they entered the offensive zone. This forced Hampus Lindholm to try and defend Connor up the middle, leaving Mark Scheifele wide open on the other side. Connor sauced a back hand pass to him and with a quick one-timer, gave the Jets a 1-0 lead.

The Ducks tied it right back up just 32 seconds later, however, on a gorgeous Swedenheim connection between Rickard Rakell and Jakob Silfverberg. After a great shift that saw the Sam Steel-centered line prevent a few opportunities for a Jets breakout, Rakell took the puck into the corner and began to skate it behind the net. Instead of cycling, Rakell no-look backhand passed to Silfverberg who had his stick open in the crease. A one-timer in close went up and over Connor Hellebuyck’s shoulder and pulled the Ducks even on one of the prettiest plays you’ll see this year.

The Ducks had most of the momentum in the fist and did a great job keeping play in the Jets own zone. That would change, however, in the middle frame when the Jets began to push back. John Gibson made several stellar saves to keep the game tied, but they finally broke though near the end of the period.

Andrew Copp took a puck into the corner off the rush and fed a trailing Adam Lowry. Rickard Rakell tried to get his stick in to tie him up as he attempted to cover, but Lowry displayed good tenacity to wait for Rakell’s pressure to briefly let up. This fooled John Gibson who did not get properly set into his position and allowed Lowry to quickly rifle the puck behind the Ducks goaltender for a 2-1 Jets lead.

Halfway through the third, the Devin Shore - Ryan Getzlaf - Troy Terry line would convert on their best shift of the game despite playing on their heels for the majority. Tremendous pressure with extended zone time turned into a fantastic pass from Getzlaf to Terry in front of the net. Terry got in close for a glorious chance with Devin Shore right there to get his hacks in. Eventually, the puck popped into the air and Hellebuyck inadvertently kicked it into his net. The goal was credited to Devin Shore for his first of the season.

Once again, unfortunately, the Ducks discipline would end up costing them the game. After Getzlaf took an obvious tripping penalty, the Jets made quick work of their opportunity. Scheifele put his team up 3-2 just 23 seconds into the man advantage after getting a quick pass from the boards to whip it by Gibson.

Despite tremendous pressure and a power play at the end of the game, the Ducks could not get the tying tally as they dropped the first of the road trip and continue their losing ways.

By The Numbers

3 Stars

3. Jakob Silfverberg

2. Matheiu Perrault

1. Mark Scheifele