Date: Friday, March 1st, 2019
Time: 7:00 PM PT
Location: Ponda Center
TV: Fox Sports Prime
The Enemy: Knights on Ice
Coming off a perfect tank loss to the Chicago Blackhawks on Wednesday night, the Ducks face a newer rival tonight, and many are looking for a continuance of the tank. Wednesday’s game was entertaining/fun and the Ducks lost in regulation, with sixteen seconds left on the clock. They currently sit second to last in the Pacific and are fourth from last in overall standings.
The Knights have been a handful for the Ducks (along with the rest of the NHL) in their short existence, and in facing them, the Ducks have lost the last three games, with an overall record of 1-5-1 vs the Knights. The Ducks have been playing better and more spirited hockey under HCGM, but they are still a struggling team lacking scoring ability and defensive continuity. Containing the Knights will be a tall order as always, so here’s to this game being as entertaining and competitive as the game vs Chicago.
Ducks’ captain Ryan Getzlaf will be missing his 5th straight game due to an upper body injury and John Gibson will be making his return to the crease after a nine game absence. Can Gibby do Gibby things and
ruin the tank steal some games down the stretch for the Ducks? [Editor’s note: Isn’t this an interesting conundrum?]
The Las Vegas Golden Knights are coming off an impressive/fun/crazy win over the Florida Panthers last night 6-5. The game was won via shootout after a furious back and forth between the two teams that pretty much had all you could want in a hockey game.
The Knights currently sit third in the Pacific and are handily locked in this spot unless the San Jose Sharks or Calgary Flames take a serious nose dive or the Arizona Coyotes (Jake Rudolph’s side chick) continue their current hot streak.
As noted above, the Knights typically give the Ducks fits. They are a swarming team whose speed and pressure disrupts anything the Ducks try to do. If they can play their game, they will have a good chance against this flawed Ducks team even though they’re on the second half of a back to back… John Gibson will of course have a say in this.
THINGS TO WATCH
- Tank hopes aside, it is always fun to watch John Gibson’s play in net.
- Will Max Jones finally get his first NHL goal? He has been killing it since being called up. Relentless effort/energy and a nice display of skating/skill. He has been so close on many chances. Kid is due!
- Will Mark Stone notch his first goal with the Knights?
- Will the Hampus Lindholm/Josh Manson pairing return to form? Since being reunited, they have been very steady (as expected), but were on the ice for both the tying and game winning goals against the Blackhawks. Both goals did not look good. Maybe they are on team tank?
TANK ROOTING GUIDE
- Pittsburgh Penguins over
Brandon Montour the Buffalo Sabres (Buffalo is not a true tank threat, but wanted to make a fun jab at Monty)
- Philadelphia Flyers over the New Jersey Devils
- Montreal Canadiens over the New York Rangers (New York is borderline tank threat, so I thought I would give you some extra incentive in case you were watching this game... Felix)
Puck drops tonight at 7:00PM PST. See you there or see you another time.