Watching history get made is pretty cool — even if it means surpassing a beloved franchise player.
With two goals in last night’s 2-0 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes, Washington Capitals legend Alex Ovechkin passed over Teemu Selanne for sole possession of the 11th-most career goals in the history of the NHL. The Capitals shared this video of Selanne congratulating Ovechkin:
“You’re gonna score a lot more goals, so keep it going and keep having fun, that’s the key,” Selanne noted in the video.
Ovi’s response included six exclamation points, so you know it came from the man himself:
thx bro!!! huge honor to be with you !!!— Alex Ovechkin (@ovi8) January 14, 2020
Congrats to Ovechkin, but sorry, you’re still not our favorite Great 8.
On the Pond
- ICYMI: Ducks @ Blues RECAP: Singing the Blues [Anaheim Calling]
- Ducks at Blues Recap: More Like Anaheim Sucks. [St. Louis Game Time]
- Lafreniere tops Central Scouting North American midterm NHL Draft ranking [NHL.com]
Around the NHL
- The NHL’s best and worst this week: On women’s hockey at the All-Star Game [ESPN]
- Why the New Jersey Devils fired GM Ray Shero now, and what’s next [ESPN]
- Watch: Huberdeau sets Panthers’ all-time points record [theScore]
- Golden Knights hoping to add a defenseman before the trade deadline [The Athletic]
- Confessions of a Hockey Lifer with Scott Gruhl [Snapshots in Hockey History podcast]
- CBS Sports Nabs U.S. TV Rights to New 3-on-3 Pro Hockey League [The Hollywood Reporter]
- And in case you missed it, here’s the shoot out miss of the century from Brad Marchand last night against the Philadelphia Flyers. Just an absolute whiff. You love to see it, folks.
Bruins lose after Brad Marchand has the worst shootout try in the history of the sport pic.twitter.com/x9IVt4eDgG— Pete Blackburn (@PeteBlackburn) January 14, 2020
On the Schedule
- Los Angeles Kings at Tampa Bay Lightning, 7 EST/4 PST on SUN, FS-W
- Minnesota Wild at Pittsburgh Penguins, 7 EST/4 PST on NBCSN, ATTSN-PT
- Vegas Golden Knights at Buffalo Sabres, 7 EST/4 PST on MSG-B, ATTSN-RM
- New Jersey Devils at Toronto Maple Leafs, 7 EST/4 PST on TVAS, SNO, MSG+
- Detroit Red Wings at New York Islanders, 7 EST/4 PST on MSG+ 2, FS-D
- Boston Bruins at Columbus Blue Jackets, 7 EST/4 PST on SN360, SNE, FS-O, NESN
- Chicago Blackhawks at Ottawa Senators, 7:30 EST/4:30 PST on TSN5, RDS, NBCSCH
- Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets, 8 EST/5 PST on TSN3, SNP
- San Jose Sharks at Arizona Coyotes, 9 EST/6 PST on FS-A PLUS, NBCSCA
- Dallas Stars at Colorado Avalanche, 9 EST/6 PST on ESPN+, ALT, FS-SW+
- Nashville Predators at Edmonton Oilers, 9 EST/6 PST on ESPN+, SNW, FS-TN