At the risk of this becoming my own mascot corner, without a player to send to the All-Star Weekend in St. Louis this weekend, the Ducks have no one left to defend their honor.
Well, there might be one guy.
Yes, Wild Wing will be the lone Ducks representative, and our feathered friend is taking it seriously, uploading training videos throughout the day yesterday to flex his skills:
That’s far from the only mascot news of the day, however. Read more of the latest news and notes below.
On the Pond
- Ducks chirp each other: Who farts the most? Who uses a hair dryer? Who is Spongy? [The Athletic]
- Trade deadline primer: Anaheim Ducks [Yardbarker]
- Anaheim Ducks Prospects: LaCombe Gets First NCAA Goal [The Hockey Writers]
- Ducks call up former Tech hockey player Blake Pietila [The Daily Mining Gazette]
- NHL is making a push to increase its Latino fan base [The LA Times]
Around the League
- NHL mascot Gritty investigated for allegedly punching 13-year-old fan [NBC News]
- State of Hockey rallies after death of 9-year-old boy [Bring Me The News]
- The NHL’s Analytics Awards at midseason [ESPN]
- The 2020 NHL Poll: Players have their say on the best player, worst referee, drinking buddies and more [The Athletic]
- KHL player poll: All-Stars on the next city to get a team, misconceptions about the league and more [ESPN]
- Would the NHL standings change with a different points system? [ESPN]
- NHL teams realize backup goaltender is important position [The Denver Post]
- Penguins still in pursuit of Wild forward Jason Zucker, per report [Hockey Wilderness]
- Maple Leafs’ Auston Matthews Ruled Out of 2020 NHL All-Star Game with Wrist Injury [Bleacher Report]
- As WNBA Boosts Pay, Women’s Hockey Players See Path Forward [The New York Times]
- Women Inspiring Young Women to Play Hockey & Embrace a New Sport [9&10 News]
Recaps & Scores
Click each team name to find the game recap from that team’s SB Nation site!