Ben Hutton has earned a contract with the Anaheim Ducks.
Just a few days ago, the team signed the left-handed shot defender to a Professional Try-Out agreement. Following an injury to Brendan Guhle and Christian Djoos being claimed by the Detroit Red Wings on the waiver wire, suddenly Anaheim was looking shaky on the left side.
A longtime member of the Canucks organization, Hutton’s last contract was one-year, $1.5 million with the Los Angeles Kings. His one-year deal with the Ducks is a $950,000 cap hit, with no bonuses and the same salary in the minors. The 27-year-old has totaled 86 points (15 goals, 71 assists) in 341 NHL games.
Read my previous analysis of Hutton and more linked below.
On the Pond
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Defenceman Ben Hutton [Last Word On Sports]
- Ducks’ youngest players listened, learned and produced in season opener [LA Daily News]
- Observations from the Ducks’ season-opening loss to the Knights [The Athletic]
1/16/2019: #NHLducks trade @_themagicbullet to @Penguins for @dgrant57. pic.twitter.com/P2HQgHsMxR— Today in Anaheim Ducks history (@AnaDucksHistory) January 16, 2021
Around the World
- Hurricanes’ Staal, Jets’ Forsberg among players added to NHL’s COVID list [Sportsnet]
- ‘Cobra Kai’ Actor Ralph Macchio Salutes NHL’s Washington Capitals Homage [Deadline]
- Vitek Vanacek wins first NHL game, gets shaving-cream pie to the face [RMNB]
- Another Dallas Stars game postponed because of COVID-19; NHL reshuffles schedule [USA Today]
- NHL arena rankings: Rate your home rink and see how it stacks up [The Athletic]
- In Kirill Kaprizov, a new NHL star has been born [Sportsnet]
Scores & Recaps
- Pittsburgh Penguins 2, Philadelphia Flyers 5
- Chicago Blackhawks 2, Tampa Bay Lightning 5
- Toronto Maple Leafs 3, Ottawa Senators 5
- Washington Capitals 2, Buffalo Sabres 1
- St. Louis Blues 0, Colorado Avalanche 8
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- Boston Bruins at New Jersey Devils, 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET on NHLN, SN, MSG+, NESN
- San Jose Sharks at Arizona Coyotes, 1 PT/4 ET on NHLN, SN, MSG+, NESN
- New York Islanders at New York Rangers, 4 PT/7 ET on MSG, MSG+
- Montreal Canadiens at Edmonton Oilers, 4 PT/7 ET on NHLN, CITY, SNE, SNW, SNP, TVAS
- Carolina Hurricanes at Detroit Red Wings, 4 PT/7 ET on FS-D+, FS-CR
- Toronto Maple Leafs at Ottawa Senators, 4 PT/7 ET on ESPN+, CBC, SNO, TVAS2
- Columbus Blue Jackets at Nashville Predators, 5 PT/8 ET on ESPN+, FS-TN, FS-O
- Minnesota Wild at Los Angeles Kings, 6 PT/9 ET on FS-W, FS-N, FS-WI
- Anaheim Ducks at Vegas Golden Knights, 7 PT/10 ET on ATTSN-RM, PRIME, FS-SD
- Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames, 7 PT/10 ET on NHLN, CBC, SN, TVAS2