Today is an anniversary of sorts for Anaheim Ducks athletic trainer, Chad Walker.
Last February, Walker was part of the team who responded when St. Louis Blues defender Jay Bouwmeester collapsed on the bench due to a cardiac event.
“You just go back to your training, and just try to do your part of the whole plan. Just make sure you have your bases covered and fulfill your duty to the whole team,” Walker told Emily Kaplan of ESPN. “Luckily everyone performed perfectly that day, and we had a great outcome.”
Walker is no stranger to the difference that rapid medical response team can make in a person’s recovery. As he details to Kaplan, Jan. 21 marks the date in 2011 that his now-wife Becca was in a car accident and suffered a severe traumatic brain injury. It was a long road to recovery, but today the couple are married and have a three-year-old son.
Read about Becca’s journey and what it means to Chad’s work with the Ducks, linked below.
On the Pond
- Ducks athletic trainer and wife celebrating special ‘Becca Blizzard Day’ in 2021 [ESPN]
- Ducks lack passion, responsibility, commitment, coach says [OC Register]
- This time, Wild overcome Ducks’ goaltending to win [NBC Sports]
- Ducks veterans benched in loss: ‘They were a wee bit pissed off’ [The Athletic]
- Ducks top prospect Trevor Zegras takes first big steps in his pro career [OC Register]
Around the World
- The case for the NHL keeping an all-Canadian division permanently [ESPN+]
- Alex Ovechkin one of four Capitals placed on NHL covid-19 protocol-related absences list [Washington Post]
- The unique path to the NHL for Pierre-Olivier Joseph [Pensburgh]
- NHL 2021 debate: Which team is in danger of going from first to worst? [USA Today]
- Here’s why the NHL is coming to Tahoe in the middle of a pandemic [SF Gate]
- NHL Power Rankings: 1-31 poll, plus the biggest surprise for every team after opening week [ESPN]
- Why the NHL is halting use of pucks with tracking technology [CBS Sports]
- Joe Thornton Injured and Likely to Miss Time: Maple Leafs Scrambling [NHL Trade Talk]
Scores & Recaps
- Edmonton Oilers 3, Toronto Maple Leafs 1
- San Jose Sharks 2, St. Louis Blues 1 (SO)
- Minnesota Wild 3, Anaheim Ducks 2
- Montreal Canadiens 5, Vancouver Canucks 6 (SO)
- Arizona Coyotes 2, Vegas Golden Knights 5
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- Philadelphia Flyers at Boston Bruins, 4 PT/7 ET on SN, TVAS, NESN, NBCSP
- New Jersey Devils at New York Islanders, 4 PT/7 ET on MSG+, MSG+ 2
- Winnipeg Jets at Ottawa Senators, 4 PT/7 ET on TSN5, RDS, TSN3
- Tampa Bay Lightning at Columbus Blue Jackets, 4 PT/7 ET on NBCSN, FS-O
- Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks, 6:30 PT/9:30 ET on NBCSN, SNP, TSN2, RDS
- Colorado Avalanche at Los Angeles Kings, 7 PT/10 ET on ESPN+, SNE, SNO, SNW, FS-W, ALT